G’Day, we have made the decision to close the drop processing side of the business. This website is a little out of date and we will update once we have made some decisions on next steps.
If you are simply looking for processing a small number of birds for personal use, try https://www.facebook.com/Fowl-Rabbit-Home-Butcher-1768448616722950
Gizzards for Human Consumption:
Gizzards are not currently available from the processing plant. This is due to the extra work that is required to separate them from the Gut, Chill to 5 degrees within 1 hour and then clean. Gizzards need to be carefully cleaned to remove any risk of bacteria from the bird including the inner lining.
From the Standards document:
15.70 Gizzards shall be:
(a) separated from the viscera immediately after removal from the body cavity and then cleaned, trimmed and washed under a continuous flow or spray of water before being placed in the collection container; and
(b) subjected to follow-up manual inspection if cleaned by automatic machines.
15.71 Edible offal shall be chilled to 5°C or below within one hour of its removal from the viscera and drained to remove free ice and water before packing.
Gizzards for Pet Food:
We can separate the Gizzards for a small fee to cover the extra time required. Please be aware that the gizzards are simply removed, tagged with a dye and then bagged. The dye is required to verify that the product will not be accidentally or intentionally used for human consumption. If any grower advertised or promotes, verbally or in writing, Pet food products as safe for human consumption, we will immediately suspend offering the product(s).
There is a desire for chicken feet, which is great, below are the rules for requesting chicken feet from your birds processed at our facility.
We are happy to provide the feet from the post scalding and plucker process step at no cost. Feet are placed in a bulk bag and labelled with “Feet – Pet Food”. Please be advised that normal food safety rules apply for pet food, this product must be kept separated from editable products and no food prep areas can be used with repackaging the feet unless sterilised (as per your HACCP) after.
To clarify, there are strict rules governing how chicken feet need to be prepared for human consumption to limit risk of bacteria and anything from the chicken farm (where chickens walk around) being consumed by humans. For human consumption the Nails must be removed, epidermal scale removed and if feet have any injury, discarded. In addition these actions must be performed and the feet chilled to 5 degrees within 1 hour of removal.
Ordering Pet Food Feet – The only requirement we have is that this article is read and understood with an email to email@example.com stating that “We agree to never sell pet food chicken feet for human consumption or imply that the product is safe for human consumption”. If we receive reports that pet food feet are sold or implied through sale for human consumption, collection of feet will immediately be cancelled indefinitely.
Chicken feet for Human Consumption:
The facility currently does not provide chicken feet for human consumption. However, should a grower require this, a plan can be put into place to provide the service.
The cost is purely the labour required to further process the feet ie:
- Take the feet removed and sort based on quality (Pet Only, Human)
- Perform additional scalding (placed in 60 degrees hot water).
- Remove Epidermal Scale from feet.
- Remove nails from feet.
- Bag and place in ICE water
- Monitor as per HACCP to verify temperature requirements. 5 degrees within 1 hour of removal.
Labour is charged at $40 ph with minimum of 1 hour. This allows the setup of the process (Hot water, bags, table, etc) and post clean up. Number of feet per hour is unknown and would depend on a number of factors. We will do our best to optimize the process and perform as many as humanly possible.
Just like you and me, chicks need to have access to water so they can stay hydrated. Water is essential for growing healthy meat birds along with good food, and some room to run around in.
We are using an easy line waterer with this batch, and they sure seem to love it! There are many options including a bell waterer which is easily purchased at a local pet shop.
We have chicks you can buy straight from our farm for you to raise on your property so you can see how easy it really is to raise your own meat chickens. Get in contact with us 0412 458 477!
We can process all Poultry. However we need to charge differently depending on how long it takes to process. If your Bird isn’t listed below, please contact us to get a price.
Standard ROSS/COBB Meat Bird: $4.50 inc GST
Duck: $5.50 inc GST
This is for basic processing only, in one end and bulk bag at the other end. Livers and Hearts are available. Anything else is priced based on labour cost.
Ducks are not easy to pluck, we can’t guarantee a perfect plucked duck at this time. (Work in Progress).
To start out with, we recommend that http://www.bondenterprises.com.au are contacted and used for purchasing the meat birds. The birds will be vaccinated and couriered direct.
Once the process is understood, brooding working well and how to processing them is known, then, if desired, move to other breeds that may be more costly to acquire as chicks and high risk if something goes wrong in the early days of life.
We are happy to arrange meetings with butchers and resturants for your product. You can either be a contract grower and sell the birds to us or (preferred) use us as the processor only and sell the product directly to your client.
We can organise pickup of the product with the client.
All Transport from the processing facility must be in a NSW Food Safe registered transport vehicle.
How large an area do I need?
What are the first steps?
Things to consider for brooding.
What does a Live Meat bird dress out to?
Live KG – Dressed KG
1.8 –> 1.26
1.9 –> 1.33
2.0 –> 1.40
2.1 –> 1.47
2.2 –> 1.54
2.3 –> 1.61
2.4 –> 1.68
2.5 –> 1.75
2.6 –> 1.82
2.7 –> 1.89
2.8 –> 1.96
2.9 –> 2.03
3.0 –> 2.1
3.1 –> 2.17
3.2 –> 2.24
3.3 –> 2.31
3.4 –> 2.38
3.5 –> 2.45
A Dressed 1.6 KG Bird is 2.4KG Live.
Based on birds at 6-7 weeks of age.
Here is the multistep process:
- Call Us on 0412 458 477 to discuss your plans and timeline.
- Visit the Processing Plant to see how the operation works on a Wednesday. Learn how to process chickens. Even if you don’t wish to know this “part”, you need to. What you do on the farm directly effects the final product. To achieve high quality product, the process from start to finish must be known.
- Learn how to brood meat birds (Heat, shelter, food and water), please discuss with Us. Then setup a small area to learn with. Starting with 50 Birds.
- Order a small batch of Birds from Bonds Enterprises in QLD.
- Learn how they grow, record their weights, learn from mistakes while small.
- In 4 Weeks, contact Us to organise a Processing Date.
- In 6-8 Weeks, process the birds. Share your product with friends and family.
- Plan the Next Step, how many can be grown on the property? How often? Who should purchase the final product? We are happy to provide wholesale contacts.
- Register with NSW Food Authority. This allows the NSW Food Authority to make sure the poultry are kept in humane conditions and the birds are fit for human consumption when they arrive at the processing facility. Depending on numbers this may not require any fees.
- Complete paperwork with Us to delivery poultry for processing.
- Discuss with Bonds Enterprises the dates and numbers of birds needed.
- Confirm who will buy the birds. Sell Direct to the Public through Markets or contact us for some wholesalers who will take the product direct from the processing plant.